Friday 2 January 2009

.....the dangers of the Internet!

So we spent the next few months bumbling along in our own unique way and I began to enjoy the highs and admittedly not yet many lows of horse ownership (I think this is whats now known as a 'good run') when I found a website. No not THAT kind of website!! To have my lifelong obsession with horses quelled by a pre-occupation with Ken and Barbie copulation would be tragic, although even considering premium rate calls decidedly cheaper. No, with the eagerness of a bloodhound on a particularly pungent trail I stumbled upon a website which posted pictures and information about horses on fattening farms in France. The website is entirely non-profit and it assists in the organisation of rescuing a horse from said farms and transporting it back to the UK. Now I know even before I type that what you're thinking. Complete tripe. However it wasnt on my first visit that I was convinced. I posted on a horse forum asking fellow equine enthusiasts whether they thought it was genuine and if so how sad it was etc. Probably a month went by and I was as always immersed in my own neddy and his personal foibles when I received an email from the lady who set up the site. I wont go into detail as its entirely not my place but she personally went over to a france and a particular farm and saw for herself the reality of the situation. You will forgive my lack of not so ever present wit in this post as what she told me was appalling. I could post all manner of repulsive, sickening videos of the frightening and confusing journey horses endure to get to a final destination of death however I dont have the stomach to see them again. Enough to say it made me ashamed of the human race. The things she told me convinced me that she and the site were genuine (we are still friends to this day) and so I went back on more out of interests sake than anything else, one crazy mammal was more than enough for me. I think he was about page 14 and you can insert an appropriate cliche regarding love at first sight/heart stopping etc here. Quazi De Lunay was his name and he was to be mine. No matter that he had not had a vetting, was coming from more than questionable circumstances, could have any manner of not only life-threatening but also contagious diseases and to top that all was unbroken. There was also his 1500 euro price tag, almost double that of the other horses on there. I emailed the site and reserved him that day which I grant you is a little rash but he was listed as extremely urgent and just look at that face!

No comments:

Post a Comment