Friday 2 January 2009

.....the beast arrives

Now if you are reading this blog then I am going to make the assumption that you know at least a little about horses. My particular point being height. Now when a horse is described as 16hh, you generally take it to mean that he is 16 x 1 hh, as in 64 inches (4 inches in a hand, come on keep up!) to his withers (the equivalent of the middle of the shoulders on a human is the best I can describe it). So after convincing my lovely mother that he would be a perfect quiet plod for her to tootle round the village on we both waited with baited breath for his impending arrival. Said mother was off gallivanting in Dublin (pre-arranged and unavoidable apparently) when he arrived and I have to admit I was quite glad or she would possibly have bashed me round the head. The horsebox rumbled quietly into the yard mid-afternoon and I could feel the blood draining from my face. With robust derriere rammed against one window, dinosaur head rammed against the opposing one and ears brushing the roof my '16hh' hack had arrived. It is at this point I will admit that I had done a little research (after reserving him, naturally) into the Percheron breed and had read rather alarming reports which included the phrases 'draft horse', 1000kilos and possibly the odd 'largest horse recorded' but had donned my optimistic hat with a flourish and hoped for the best. I will never forget the day he arrived for the rest of my life. I send thanks to the god of the horses that I had by chance a huge stable already earmarked for him, but I cannot claim that as judgement just mere luck. I had not a headcollar that would even fit around his nose let alone his whole head! The transporter gingerly lowered the ramp to reveal the beast within and I think I actually gasped. To this day I am still astounded by his size and that first sight high up on the top of the ramp was....impressive. He is around 17.3hh minimum but its not his height that is astounding its his size. Its like he has been 'super sized' a la McDonalds or similar. He ambled off the lorry as if he'd been out for a meander round town as opposed to a 24 hour journey, pottered into his stable, quietly and immediately munched his hay. I'm astounded when I look back on it but I actually went into his stable and gave him a quick flick over with a brush and he never batted an eye. Now for the inevitable meeting of monster and mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment